Gray Can Be Gorgeous
More women are discovering that allowing their hair to grow into natural gray is liberating. As one professional model, Maye Musk, put it, “Why didn’t I do this 10 years ago?”
No, it isn’t for every woman, but the ranks of those who choose freedom from chemical color and the tyranny of monthly touch-ups are growing! A new found confidence can come from those natural silver tones free from hair color chemicals.
More women today embrace their own sense of themselves when they allow their hair to become their natural gray color. Is the Silver Fox look for you?
Highlight the Silvery Properties of your Gray Hair With Mild Silver Shampoo
This is the top product my readers are buying because it is mild and gentle on the hair while delivering beautiful results. I know I like that it is infused with vitamins.
Get A Great Cut
Target the Enemies of Healthy Hair – Especially Those That Dull and Yellow
VO5 is tried and true and one of my personal favorites for moisturizing, giving sheen, and taming fly-aways. I used regular VO5 when I colored my hair, (better than “hair polishes”) and then switched to the silver haired version. It is a quick way to shine up your strands while adding a silvery glow.
I now have longer length locks and the creme with blue tint holds my hair in place to reduce flyaways as well as give shine.
Good Bye Yellow
Internally, stress is one of the greatest enemies to your overall health, including your hair’s health. Too much sun, vitamin deficiencies, illness are all on the list, but did you know that chemical dyes are too?
- Shampoos that are harsh will make your hair feel dry, frizzy, and dull.
- Using a yellowish-tinged shampoo or conditioner rather than a clear one may leave an offcast on your hair.
- Smoking or sitting in a smoke-filled environment can lead to a yellowish cast also, which is very hard to remove.
- Water with lots of iron content can stain the hair.
- Chlorine in water reacts with sunlight to give a yellow tinge.
- Oil buildup from your scalp can also cause discoloration.
You can counteract these effects by installing a filter on your shower, using hair products formulated for gray hair, and using a clarifying shampoo.
Who knew it would become high style? And still a trend going strong in 2016, showing no signs of slowing down.
Aging Gracefully: Keeping Vibrancy and Beauty Alive
Salt and Pepper Smoothie
Maye Musk, Beauty Role Model
Maye Musk is a top model who makes aging look great with her silver white hair and sophisticated style.
She is gracious about sharing her secrets, too. Samples of her beauty advice are generously given in an article titled “Looking Great”, taken from her book where she shares wardrobe, weight, and beauty tips.
One tip for those who want to use brightening products: I switch out these for clarifying and non-color changing shampoos regularly. One of my favorites for in between is Paul Mitchell’s Wild Ginger line. The fragrance and shine are amazing.
My Own Silver
My Transition to Gray Hair Freedom
What is it like to change from covering gray to going natural with silvery strands? I thought I would create a timeline of sorts with the most asked questions from acquaintances. These are things I wondered about myself, before taking the big step.
Going Gray, Hair Color F.A.Q.
- What was the tipping point in making a decision to go “natural?”I felt for a long time that the look of a face and neck of a 50 or 60 something and the hair of a twenty-something is out of sync. I made the decision that when that disconnect seemed to be approaching I would stop coloring my hair.Happily, this decision coincided with the appearance of many attractive and influential women in the beauty world who also decided to “go gray.” Those women and my own experience inspired this page.I thought, “I am sure there are lots more women who want this look and just need a little encouragement.”
- Was it hard to transition from the colored hair to natural?It wasn’t hard, I just let the hair grow, and scheduled haircuts to keep the style and shape. A fresh haircut helps avoid that awkward “halfway point”.I won’t lie: there has been a bit of humble pie and some attitude adjustment on my part to growing older.I have had both supportive and admiring comments, but then there was the time when a kid behind me in the grocery line phoned his mom that he was “standing behind the old lady.”A lovely comment from a group of unknown bystanders in another grocery store (do people in grocery stores have more time to people watch?) who thought my hair was “gorgeous” made up for the shock of the other comment, however!
- What are the best tips for having beautiful gray hair?I have included the top tips in this article. The products are those I and my readers have found the best for our silver hair. Information on caring for the qualities of maturing gray locks included under a number of the topics covered: the right shampoos, conditioners, and styling methods.
Thinking About Going Gray? Here is my pep talk
Tips From My Hairstylist
My hair stylist used ” Forever Blonde” products to give shine and cancel out effects of yellowing. Loved the effect! And got compliments!
Grow It Long
5 Beauty Tips
- Be sure to include plenty of B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids in your diet
- Going gray may require a warmer color palette for your makeup. Try a warmer blush or lipstick color.
- It can’t be said enough: Keep it moisturized and in good condition to keep it great looking.
- Occasional color correction with a blue-tinted hair product to cancel yellowing
- Give a gloss with smoothing those frizzies:Even though you want to go easy on heat appliances, straightening gray hair can add some glitz to your look. Gray hair reflects light, which is highlighted by keeping it smooth.
How Does the Color Turn?
What Makes Hair Turn Gray? Scientists Have Found the Cause
As part of the body’s oxygen cycle, skin cells produce hydrogen peroxide . Hydrogen peroxide serves to kill bacteria, but as we age it builds up in the body. Researchers in UK found that this buildup causes the hair to turn gray. Some races, such as Caucasians, are more prone to the process. -Today’s Health
Gerald Weissmann, professor of medicine at New York University predicts that soon products to remove hydrogen peroxide from the hair and the body will be developed.
Lee Meriwether: former Miss America
Gray-t Examples for the New Year
Women Who Have Gone Gray
Nothing tells the story like a picture can, and the beautiful women whose hair is shiny, gorgeous, and gray are the best illustration for making the point. It isn’t necessary to get beauty from a bottle. The best, most attractive quality is healthiness. Chemicals are bound to be damaging, and they aren’t necessary!
Some Fabulous Women Who Weren’t Afraid of the Big Bad Gray:
- Yasmina Rossi
- Maye Musk
- Emmy Lou Harris
- Meryl Streep
- Dame Judi Dench
- Joan Baez
- Susan Hersh
- Kathleen Sebelius
- Ellen Burstyn
- Jamie Lee Curtis
- Helen Mirren
Trendsetting hairstyles show up on the red carpet and in magazines. Take some tips from these celebrities for hair, makeup, and fashions that will look great with grey.
Fresh Looks To Try
What styles look fresh and new with silver locks?
- Try a new bob, updated with layering to give it lift.
- Medium length with fringy bangs.
- Cute short, flipped up ends.
- Bangs are in favor for the classic bob.
As you can see from the many products on this page, I like to change things up. It isn’t that I am always looking for something different, but I find that rotating the shampoo and conditioner lines brings better results. On a trip out west I noticed the need for more conditioning, while in my own home state (where high humidity rules) I have more need for serums to smooth my hair.
I think you have to experiment to see what works best for your own look.
The one perennial rule for all of us with gray and silver is well conditioned, healthy hair. And because of all the environmental yellowing, knowing which products will restore a clear tone to the hair is one secret that will work wonders for your style.
Gray is Gorgeous
Going Shoulder Length
Taking Care of Your Hair
…Taking care of yourself (and why we go gray)
Some beauty tips are ageless: eat nutritionally valuable foods that have the vitamins, proteins, and the complex carbohydrates you need for good health; use mild and effective products on your skin and hair; and get your circulation going with plenty of exercise.
But there are a few tips that are especially important for gorgeous gray hair. One that is mentioned often is the use of a blue tinted hair product. Another is regular use of an effective hair conditioner- maybe more than one to keep hair soft and shiny. Carefully brushing or combing to prevent split ends and a good haircut doesn’t hurt, either. Healthy hair also means going easy on heat applications through hair curling or straightening.
A Good Cut
I’ve been see-sawing between mid-length hair and trying to grow it out. Like every other color, growing hair longer while trying to keep it looking in shape and stylish is a challenge. I recently cut off the length and had my hair layered. It looks shinier and better groomed, which is important for gray hair.
A beauty secret to take better advantage of is to have a great cut. Not liking to fuss with hair, a medium length has always worked well for me, but no matter the length we choose, keeping the cut sharp and in shape makes the difference in how good gray hair looks.
Try A Different Shampoo
Consider trying a new shampoo made just for white and silver hair to really stand out and make a white hot statement.
A wonderful shampoo with mild ingredients and natural blue flower extract from Centaurea. Klorane is a venerable name in hair products and I have used (happily) their shampoo and conditioners for years. If one wants the tried and true for silver hair, this is a good choice.
Bring out the silver lights
One of the Best Shampoos for Gray Hair Styles
Keep your hair silvery with Phyto Phytargent Whitening Shampoo, Gray and White Hair , and its conditioner. Chamomile azulene brightens, while natural coconut oil conditions and cleanses your scalp.
These two results, moisturized hair and a light bluing tint, will give your gray luxurious shimmer which is all you need to look terrific. Phyto products have been my favorites for their quality and how manageable they leave my thick, wavy locks.
Which Shampoo And Conditioner ?
Besides the addition of a color corrector which is the best product for our hair? The answer will be directly related to your present condition, desired look, and personal preference.
I like the ingredients to be as natural as possible, but I like some luxury and fragrance,too. Those are qualities that influence my recommendations. If you are sensitive to perfumes, there are products for you that might be different.
Two more of the best brands are:
- Pravana Pure Light Sulfate-free Brightening Shampoo is a silver hair shampoo, both mild and natural. My readers love it; I think the gray enhancing formula makes such a difference with no concerns about Parabens or other harmful additives.
- Rene Furterer Okara Mild Silver Shampoo with corrective pigments, this product illuminates and revives silvery highlights. It also contains Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E.
The goal is healthy looking hair that has shine and clarity.
Dry hair and skin?
Oils can cause yellowing, so strike a balance between the need to condition hair and overloading it with possible yellow cast. If you use a whitening agent every once in awhile, that will help.
I felt that using coconut oil to condition did not discolor my hair. Argan oil might be slightly yellowing (verdict not in on that, yet), but good for conditioning.
Grey Is Going Places
Click thumbnail to view full-size
Helen Mirren’s Style
Always an eye catcher on the Red carpet, her style elicits admiring comments. If you have quandaries on how to make the best of your looks as you age, Helen Mirren is a a role model of continuing to look great.
She changes her style subtly going from soft waves to styles with bangs and sometimes a straight bob, but always with panache.
Mirren always inspires those who wish for stylish gray hair styles ideas.
Helen Mirren lipcolor? Try L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Le Balm, Pink Satin for a similar look.
Embracing My Grey, Another Woman’s Story In Photos
Updos have been a top choice for formal occasions because they instantly create a well groomed and feminine appearance.
While many women choose shorter hairstyles as they mature, the trend has been for longer lengths. Whether a haircut is short or long, sleek and shiny are two characteristics that give holiday hairdos glamorous fashion.
A Few Ideas For Elegant Polish
Classic French twist with a holiday comb.
Sparkly combs and clips dress up any style.
Polished hair slicked back from the face—Silver Fox to the max for holiday sophistication.
The smoothly rolled bun is a classic good look for the holidays, with or without hair ornaments. Either worn high on the crown or as a chignon, this is a beautiful sophisticated look.
Rock The Silver Strands
Mike Van Den Abbeel says,
“There are several professions for women that we recommend not get 100% gray coverage. Any woman working in law or dealing with money shouldn’t try to cover up all her gray hair. In these cases, a little gray will help give a sense of experience and authority”
Cindy Joseph speaks out:
Shine and be all you can be at any age.
If You Want The Whole Package
There is more to your appearance than just your hair, as important as that is!
As maturity affects skin tone and body shape, some changes must be made, a makeover of wardrobe, colors, and reviving some of the inner glow that is the real source of beauty for any age.
I like the new emphasis on helping older women find their best look.
Beautiful Silver Streaks
Get a Makeup Look to Match Gray Hair – Face Your Age Head On
There are a few changes to make to your makeup palette to best work with gray hair and matured skin tones.
- Pick brighter shades
- A soft pink or coral blush
- Rose, pink or coral lip gloss
- Dark brown or black liner
A BB cream is fantastic for an aging complexion. Complement your natural hair with some new makeup to brighten your complexion and lift your mood. Hair color is just one facet of the overall picture.
And most of all, I think I’ve finally gotten the message that beauty emanates from within.
Accept yourself, love your life, celebrate the moments, and you might find that gray hair is more of a silver halo that crowns a life worth living!
Silver Fox Attributes
A becoming wardrobe
….all work together for the beauty of maturity to shine through.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
- Question:Why are there not any long, curly silver-haired people? Why does everyone think just because you’re grey you have to go short?Answer:There are examples of long and curly out there, but it is challenging for older women with gray hair to manage longer styles. It requires more work to keep from yellowing and to look youthful with long styles. I know, because I tried it the past couple years. Not everyone has to go short, but the majority do.Helpful 42
- Question:How do I keep a spiky pixie cut looking chic and not like a helmet head or like an “old lady”?Answer:Start with your cut. Ask your stylist to give you wisps and layers, then use hair molding products to add texture.Helpful 42
- Question:My hair is graying, but not evenly should I highlight?Answer:That purely depends on what you most would like. Highlights could create a more even look until the gray increases, or you could enjoy the salt and pepper look.Helpful 29
- Question:I’m 57 and have been saying I look forward to greying but it is still just along the hairline. What do we do when waiting for the full grey?Answer:Everyone’s different. Some play up the contrast, like a gray streak. Gray showing up with natural hair does not have the unfortunate look of gray peeking out from colored locks. You could experiment with different hairstyles which hide or accentuate the gray. I have a definite white streak on one side, and how I part my hair makes it either more or less apparent.For you, layers may be more attractive? Check in with your hair stylist for ideas that are unique to your look.Helpful 51
© 2011 Ilona E